Bowhunter of the Year Award & Bowhunting Pin Award Program
We are happy to announce that recently appointed ABAM Provincial Bowhunting Coordinator, Brad Hackewich of the Yellowhead Bowhunters in Neepawa, has been working to re-establish the annual ABAM Bowhunter of the Year Award and Bowhunting Pin Awards. The annual award descriptions and forms are available below for your reference. For any questions regarding the awards programs, please email Brad at firstname.lastname@example.org or the ABAM Office at email@example.com
For Bowhunter of the year award, senior male and female (age 18 and over as of January 1st), a minimum of two species must be taken.
- For Bowhunter of the year award, junior male and female (ages 12 to 17 as of January 1st), only one species is needed.
- Each animal entered must be accompanied with the hunter’s tag number and tags are not transferable.
- Animals taken in the rifle season using archery equipment may be entered.
- Only one animal from each species may be entered with the following point system in effect:
|TURKEY||200 PTS TOM OR HEN|
|BEAR||200 PTS PLUS 2 POINTS FOR EVERY 1/16″ OVER 16″|
|DOE||200 POINTS ONLY ONE DOE ENTRY|
|DEER (TYPICAL)||200 POINTS OR DOUBLE THE SCORE OF ANTLERS|
|DEER (NON-TYPICAL)||200 POINTS OR DOUBLE THE SCORE OF ANTLERS|
|ELK||200 POINTS OR SCORE OF ANTLERS|
|MOOSE||200 POINTS OR DOUBLE THE SCORE OF ANTLERS|
|CARIBOU||200 POINTS OR SCORE OF ANTLERS|
All animals must be taken under the rules of fair chase. The term “Fair Chase” shall not include animals taken under the following conditions.
a) helpless in or because of deep snow
b) helpless in water
c) helpless on ice
d) helpless in a trap
e) While confined (game farms etc.)
f) by jack lighting
g) from any powered vehicle
h) no dogs may be used
i) any other method the board of directors deems unsportsmanlike.
- All animals must be taken within the boundaries of Manitoba.
- All animals must be taken according to date and season where game was hunted.
- All members must abide by all wildlife regulations.
- All animals entered must be taken with no other means than the bow and arrow.
- All animals taken must be entered by the end of May of the next year (May 2018)
- No heads will be measured until after 60 days of the date of kill.
- All application forms must be signed by one witness who was present at the time of kill or who viewed the carcass.
- Any animal taken before the annual membership fees are paid will not be eligible for any award or points.
- Only ABAM members qualify for Bowhunter of the year awards.
An animal is eligible for any award only when recovered before the search by the hunter was abandoned and all other procedures were carried out in full, (tagging etc.). If the animal was not recovered within 24 hours a letter of explanation must accompany the entry form and the board of directors will decide if animal is eligible for awards.
All entry forms should be sent to the Bowhunting Coordinator and he will make arrangements for all heads that require scoring or send a photocopy of your official score sheet.
All entries will receive an animal award pin.
FOR ALL QUESTIONS REGARDING THE BOWHUNTER OF THE YEAR AWARD – PLEASE EMAIL BRAD HACKEWICH AT BOWHUNTING@ABAM.CA
2017- 2018 ABAM Bowhunting Pin Award Program
Each year, the ABAM awards “PIN AWARDS” for members who harvest game under fair chase in the respective hunting season.
These pins are for any legally taken animal. We have pins for turkey, bear, deer, moose, elk and caribou.
If you are an ABAM member in 2017/2018 and harvest one of the species between January 1, 2017 – May 25, 2018 simply complete the form below and mail it to the ABAM (regular mail or electronic) by May 31, 2018.
Members may apply for an award for each species that are harvested. Your pin will be mailed to you. Good Luck!
Please mail or email the form linked below to 145 Pacific Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 2Z6 or firstname.lastname@example.org